Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Mommy's thoughts on Lucas starting Kindergarten

I was surprised how much the thought of Lucas going to Kindergarten wasn't bothering this summer as we started preparing.  I was excited for him to learn to read and the cool stuff that comes from that, but I wasn't sad for my little boy growing up.  I have been nervous about Lucas's inability to control his anger and his lack of wanting to do as he is told.  However, I figure these are things that a lot of boys struggle with as they start Kindergarten and his teacher would know how to deal with these items.  So I was really proud of myself for being so calm about Lucas reaching this milestone. 

Then we went to open house and it hit me how much responsibility they are putting on the kids each day.  I know there are a lot of things that I still do for Lucas that he could totally do on his own. Some of these things I do because I'm in a hurry and some of them I do out of habit and just haven't realized that he is capable.  They are asking him to be a big boy! I guess I was just in denial up to this point about what being in Kindergarten really meant.

I'm very nervous that this child is going to change into a whole new person the first two weeks of school.  He is going to grow up before our very eyes.  This is good.  I want him to be more independent, but the thought of that does make me a little sad.  I know Andy and I, as parents have done our best to prepare him and that he is ready for this next step.

Now that it's here, there is nothing I can do, besides be excited to see the ways that Lucas will mature, grow more responsible, and learn all sorts of new things this year in Kindergarten.


No comments: